Dear NCGV Supporter,
Let’s start with the good news. Thanks to your generous support, North Carolinians Against Gun Violence Education Fund accomplished much in 2018, including:
- Helping save North Carolina’s concealed weapons permitting system so it remains illegal for 18-year-olds to carry concealed weapons.
- Playing a central role in the effort that stopped the legal possession of guns on college campuses.
- Serving as a key partner in saving our pistol permitting system, keeping in place background checks for handguns sold at gun shows and online.
Looking ahead to 2019, we are hopeful for continued success at the state level given Governor Roy Cooper’s interest in common-sense measures to prevent gun violence and the increased likelihood for his vetoes to be sustained. In addition, we will work to:
- Stop any attempts by the National Rifle Association to introduce and advance dangerous bills in the state.
- Support a “red flag” bill that would allow family members or law enforcement officers to petition a judge to remove someone’s guns temporarily if they are believed to be a risk for violence.
All of this we do in collaboration with an ever-expanding circle of partners and with new volunteers drawn by the importance of this work to offer their time and talent.
Not all of the news is good, of course. Horrific acts of gun violence continue, and the refusal by too many elected leaders to pursue common sense policy changes frustrating and disheartening. It can be unbearable to watch the suffering of both the victims of gun violence and their families even as we recognize how much work remains.
Your financial support ensures NCGV has sufficient resources to help hold the line against bad gun legislation, to put forward sound and effective, common sense policies, and to move us ever closer to a time when gun violence ceases to be a daily occurrence. As 2018 draws to a close, we welcome your donation as we continue this crucial work.